You have learned about the many benefits of having window film installed in your home for your home’s sake, like reducing heat and glare and savings on energy consumption, fade reduction for your fabrics, flooring and furniture. But did you know that window film can also help provide added benefits for you and your skin? What about the sun’s UV Radiation?
Effects of UV Radiation on Skin & Eyes
- “Skin Cancer is the fastest growing cancer in the world.”
-The Skin Cancer Foundation
- “One in five Americans will develop skin cancer within their lifetime.”
-Us Dept. of Health and Human Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- “Chronic exposure to ultraviolet radiation has been linked to the development of cataracts and age related macular degeneration. And just because you’re indoors does not mean you’re fully protected. Ultraviolet light is still transmitted through glass.”
–Dr. Douglas F. Liva, Ophthalmologist, American Academy of Opthalmology
- “Excessive, prolonged UV exposure may be linked to the development of eye conditions such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.”
-American Academy of Ophthalmology
- “Statistics show that American drivers develop skin cancer more frequently on their left side while Australian drivers suffer from cancers of the skin on their right side. “
-Dr. Albert Kligman, M.D, Ph.D, Dermatologist
It’s a fact that without radiation from the sun, life on the Earth would cease to exist. Sunshine is essential to plant and animal life, but there are certain portions of this radiation that the human body could use in much smaller doses. Basically ultraviolet radiation has been divided into three groups of wavelengths, UVC, UVB and UVA rays.
Types of Ultraviolet Radiation
All UVC and a portion of UVB rays are screened by the Earth’s ozone layer. The balance of UVB rays (the part of the UV spectrum that causes sunburn) are screened out completely by glass. UVA is not screened by glass and makes up over 90% of the UV radiation that reaches the Earth’s surface.
For years now, scientists & health professionals have been warning us of the dangers of UV radiation. We have heard “before you go out into the sun, you should apply sunscreen, wear sunglasses and a hat (especially between the hours of 10 to 3 in the afternoon) to reduce your risk of developing sunburn”, wrinkles and premature aging of the skin, skin cancers, and eye damage.
Window Film Protects Against UV Exposure
Window Films absorb 99.9% of UV “A” & UV “B” radiation, from 320nm to 380nm, when installed on your glass. For people who are concerned about the effects of UV Rays on their family’s skin, LLumar® films can be of great benefit.
The UVShield™ technology is a part of All LLumar films and is recommended as a device for UV protection of the skin by The Skin Cancer Foundation, The Melanoma Foundation, The Billy Foundation & The XP Society. Further, our manufacturer suppliers, CP Films, and 3M Window Film are two of ONLY three US Companies recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation.
So, now there is another reason to let New York Window Film give you a No Obligation Estimate to help solve your UV, Fade, Heat and Glare problems. Please do not hesitate to contact us for a No Obligation Estimate.